Thursday, September 1, 2016

Welcome to the new year!

Welcome families!

I hope that you have had a refreshing and restful summer.  I would like to welcome you to the Structured Routine Center (SRC)! The SRC aims to encourage social and academic growth for students impacted by a variety of disabilities by creating an environment that discretely teaches skills and functional routines.  We also provide a communication intensive environment so that we may foster authentic uses of communication. 

Students will receive specialized services in academics, social skills, communication, behavior modification, and fine and gross motor skills through a variety of research based curriculums. This class will be a primary grade blend classroom

Just for some background information for those of you that I don’t know, I have been working with individuals with disabilities for more than 15 years in a variety of settings.  I have worked with children of all ages in private and public settings, as well as in the group home setting with adults with developmental disabilities. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to work in so many avenues of services, because I feel that it informs my teaching practices in a very authentic way. I aspire to teach in such a holistic way that my students are being prepared with valuable skills for their lives across all settings. This is my tenth year teaching the SRC, I am so excited for another fantastic year! If you have any questions about our staff, or myself, please feel free to ask at any time.

Since your student will be starting in a new classroom, he/she might be overwhelmed at first by all the new people and experiences. To help the transition as much as possible we want to have toys, schedules and systems in place that will help welcome our students. Since you know your student best, I have created an essential information survey. You can find it in the pages tab on the left side of the page. Please fill these out to the best of your ability and return them to me when you can. This way we can be sure to have some things set up for your student to make his/her first day great! Returning families: I do have your surveys from last year, please feel free to supplement with any new information.

Looking forward to a great year!

Ashlee Rice



No comments:

Post a Comment