Friday, February 19, 2016

A unique learning opportunity

A few weeks ago, as my husband and I were returning home from the dog park, we were walking up the stairs with puppies underfoot and I tripped and rolled my ankle. Thankfully, there were no broken bones, but there were some painful soft tissue issues. Under the doctor's advisement, I missed a day of work, and when I returned, my foot and ankle were wrapped and I was on crutches.

While I am able to move about the day just fine, I have been doing things a little differently. I'm not able to easily get down onto the floor with the kids. I'm not running with them at APE, and when we're traveling through the building, I have to have my crutches, so I haven't been able to hold or carry anything.

This has provided some great learning opportunities for the kids! We have talked a lot about being sick lately, but in the last two weeks, we have talked about what we can do when we feel hurt. We also practiced skills for helping people when they are hurt. I have had some great helpers in these last few weeks--carrying papers for me, opening and holding the doors when we go places, and making sure to be gentle. Our kids possess so much kindness and compassion, sometimes they just need some direct conversations and teaching to demonstrate these skills! I am so proud of our little gentlemen these last few weeks-so thankful!
My puppies nursing me back to health
Puppy hugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment